AINP has announced some significant changes to the way it will intake applications from 2018. Here are some insights from their recent release:
- Effective Jan. 2, 2018, the AINP will consolidate the Employer-Driven and Strategic Recruitment Streams and 11 sub-categories under one new Alberta Opportunity Stream.
- The Alberta Opportunity Stream will have one single set of eligibility criteria, ensuring a simpler application process and shorter processing times.
- Beginning in 2018, the AINP will have the ability to place yearly caps on the number of applications accepted and nominations issued for certain sectors and occupations, ensuring equitable distribution of workers and fairness across all sectors and industries in Alberta.
- Alberta will add an Express Entry Stream allowing the AINP to select candidates from the federal Express Entry pool. This will be operational in January 2018.
Alberta labour anticipates shortages in the following areas:
- nurse supervisors and registered nurses (shortage of 5,434 workers by 2025)
- medical technologists and technicians (shortage of 2,322 workers by 2025)
- computer and information systems professionals (shortage of 1,426 workers by 2025)
- managers in construction and transportation (shortage of 1,386 workers by 2025)
- sales and service supervisors (shortage of 1,145 workers by 2025)
- Occupation Requirements - your occupation must be eligible both at the time you apply and when AINP assesses the application. There is a list of ineligible occupations but it does not appear to limit the NOC skill levels
- Residency & work permit requirements - applicants must be living and working in Alberta on valid work permits (implied status or awaiting restoration will not work)
- Mandatory language testing - seems to apply to all NOC levels and currently requires a min. of CLB 4 (up to CLB 5 beginning in 2019)
- Educational requirements - minimum high school diploma and an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) if the diploma is foreign. Exceptions exist if your work experience is in a compulsory or optional trade, and you have a valid Qualification Certificate
- Work Experience - You must remain working in the same occupation throughout the processing of your application. You must demonstrate minimum work experience in Alberta or abroad in the same occupation applying under. A written job offer is also required.
- Income levels - minimum income is required and varies depending on the size of your family unit