Skip to main content

Federal Skilled Trades - NEW!

As of today, January 2, 2013, Citizenship and Immigration Canada ("CIC") has started accepting applications in the new Federal Skilled Trades category for permanent residence.

At present, eligible occupations are limited to NOC B major groups: 72, 73, 82 and 92. There are currently 43 such occupations listed, subdivided into two groups. Group "A" has a cap of 100 applications per occupation, whereas Group "B" has no cap. For a full list of eligible occupations, click here.

A maximum of 3000 applications will be accepted between January 2, 2013 and January 1, 2014.

Program Requirements:

  1. Language proficiency
    • language test is mandatory (CELPIP or IELTS)
    • must meet the minimum level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and CLB 4 for reading and writing.
  2. Minimum 2 years of full-time experience (or equivalent part-time) in a listed occupation, gained within the last 5 years, after being qualified to independently practice in that occupation
  3. Meet that occupations employment requirements (except licensing) as described in the NOC
  4. Have a full-time job offer for at least 1 year in that occupation or hold a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade from a Canadian province
    • Job Offer is valid if:
      • You are currently in Canada on a valid LMO-based work permit, and the offer is made by the employer on that work permit, for the occupation on that work permit. Your work permit, and job offer, must be valid at the time you file the permanent residence application, and at the time the application is approved;
      • You are currently working in Canada on an LMO-exempt work permit if that work permit was obtained under an international agreement (eg. NAFTA) or a significant benefit category (eg. intra-company transferee). No other LMO-exempt work permits qualify.
      • You do not have a valid work permit, and are not authorized to work in Canada. Your employer must obtain an LMO in addition to providing the job offer
      • If you are currently working in Canada on a valid work permit, but the above situations do not apply, then the prospective employer must first obtain a positive LMO.
  5. Financial ability
    • You must demonstrate the ability to financially establish yourself. There is no minimum requirement to show funds available for this if you are already working in Canada and have arranged employment.


  1. Nice informative post dear. now sharing some stuff about .Canadian Immigration Reforms guide

  2. it is difficult to predict about success without knowing more about language performance in the individual sections and English level generally. A lot also depends on how much time student have to study and improve your English and which methods are using to do this.

    esl teacher

  3. IELTS is not easy. Only students comprehension and analytical skills are important. Constant practice and confidence are needed for the IELTS.

    How to Write an Essay


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1F(b) - Exclusion from Refugee Protection

The Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) recently released a decision on the interpretation of Article 1F(b) of the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees ("Refugee Convention"). The case is Febles v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2014 SCC 68.

This case involved a refugee claimant from Cuba. He had previously been granted refugee status in the United States. While living in the US, the Applicant was convicted and served time in jail for two assaults with a deadly weapon. The US therefore revoked his refugee status and issued a removal warrant.

The Applicant then came to Canada, and made a refugee claim.


The only issue in this case was whether Article 1F(b) of the Refugee Convention (adopted into our immigration law under s.98 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act - "IRPA") barred the Applicant from refugee protection because of his past crimes.


Article 1F(b) of the Refugee Convention reads:

F. The provisions of this Convention s…

Canadian Caregiver Program Overhauled

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (“CIC”) recently announced major changes to the (former) Live-in Caregiver program. The former program has now been split into 2 distinct streams: Caring for Children ClassCaring For People With High Medical Needs Class
These 2 new economic immigration classes will allow those who have Canadian work experience in caring for children or for individuals with high medical needs to apply for permanent residence.
Caring for Children Class
The biggest changed this program is the removal of the “live-in” requirement for caregivers. The program allows anyone who worked full-time in the care of children to apply for permanent residence.
The program requirements are as follows:
Work experience:within the 4 years before the date of the application, have at least 2 years of full-time work experience in Canada as a home child care providerThat the job duties meet the specifications outlined in unit group 4411 of the National Occupation Classification (NOC)Language p…

Change to Age of Dependent Child to "under 22"

The Government just released Regulations amending the age of dependency from "under 19" to "under 22". However, the changes will not come into force until October 24, 2017. As such, any applications made until that date will continue to face the current definition of a child being "under 19". Nevertheless, this opens up opportunities for those who were unable to include children as dependants to sponsor those who might still be under the age of 22 when the Regulations take effect.  The Full-Text of the Regulations can be found here.